Tuesday, November 8, 2011

This is what happens when you spend more time at the library than at home.

Remember my gum addiction? Well, when I'm trying to focus or am stressed, my gum intake increases exponentially.


Yesterday I was a combo of both. As I sat in the library, I broke out the fruity gum. (Which, we must admit, is only fun to chew for two minutes anyway.) Slowly but surely, over the course of an hour, I demolished that pack of gum. Yes, the entire pack was gone within an hour. After I finished, I felt a bit sheepish, and thought to myself, "Gee, that guy over there probably thinks I'm some sort of freak for chewing this whole pack of gum. How embarrassing." But, since he was a stranger, I didn't worry too much about it.


Unfortunately, the same type of people frequent the library. As I walked into the library today, who should I see but the man who'd witnessed my attack on the pack of gum the night before? I sat down and began studying (this time without the fruity gum) until I heard a voice.


"Excuse me, are you the girl who went through an entire pack of gum last night?"
Shoot. He'd noticed. And he was confronting me about this. Shoot shoot shoot. "Oh shoot. You noticed?" I replied.
"Well it was kinda hard not to..."


Oh boy. Talk about embarrassing. We chatted for a minute, introducing ourselves, (his name was Benjamin) and he left. A few minutes later, my phone buzzed. I flipped it open to a text from my friend (who apparently is friends with Benjamin) that read, "So I hear you can pound a pack of gum like no other."


Shoot again.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously?! I can't believe he noticed!

    and p.s., how small is that campus, seriously - does everyone know everyone, or does everybody just talk to strangers?

    ReplyDelete